Forsyth Fire Department’s Volunteer Firefighter Requirements
Forsyth Fire Department’s Volunteer Requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years old;
- Must live within 10 miles of the city limits of Forsyth, Missouri;
- Complete the application process;
- Pass a thorough background check;
- Chief’s and Captain’s interview and approval;
- All members of the department must conform to and comply with City of Forsyth employment rules and conditions of employment;
- City Council approval;
- Able to pass department physical;
- All members must complete required NIMS and ICS training within first six (6) months;
- Able to attend required training for position applied for.
When do meetings take place?
Drills are held every Thursday of the month except the 5th Thursday. The 5th Thursday can be used for makeup classes. Meeting runs between 1830 hrs and 2230 hrs. Saturday drills may be scheduled as needed. Goals of these drills is to improve firefighter and medical skills.
Monthly meeting – A monthly business meeting will be held at the start of drill on the first Thursday of the month.
Driver/Operator Familiarization Drills – These drills will be performed on the second Thursday of the month and will run between 1830 hrs and 2230 hrs. These drills will address driver training, pump operations and apparatus familiarization. Goal of these skills is to familiarize all with apparatus operation and prepare recruits and firefighters for the driver/operator position.
Officers Meetings – All Forsyth Fire Department officers will meet monthly as officer schedules permit. Time and location will be published 24 hrs prior to the meeting.
General Membership Benefits
There are many benefits to being a volunteer firefighter. A few of them are:
- Great training opportunities;
- Strong sense of accomplishment;
- Member of a team;
- Sense of belonging;
- Helping and giving something back to your community;
- Increased responsibility;
- Personal growth and development;
- Both challenging and rewarding;
- It’s fun!